CIS Sub-Contracting

GPS Contracting effectively works with our many sub-contractors to provide construction services to our clients, in line with HMRC guidelines, ensuring your business is fully compliant.

By sub-contracting our services you will no longer need to engage individuals directly. We contract with the operatives and take on any risks of status challenges and employment law claims. This alleviates the burden to you and eliminates the risk of having to deal with any HMRC related issues or employment tribunals.

You will also discover that your administration will reduce dramatically. Dealing with GPS is far more time and cost effective than dealing with individual sub-contractors. Your administrative responsibility is effectively reduced to one invoice per site, per week. One bank payment is all that is needed and only one sub-contractor needs to be submitted on your monthly CIS returns. In addition to all this, no future verifications will need to be completed. We allow you to focus on what you do best, growing your business without the distractions of ensuring you comply with CIS regulations.


It is FREE to apply for CIS status with HMRC. If you’re intending to work within construction you’ll want to register before you start doing so. If you don’t register, the deductions made from your payments will automatically be at the higher rate (30%).

You can register by calling the HMRC CIS Helpline on
Tel 0300 200 3210. You will be asked for your name, address, date of birth and your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).

When you provide Global Pay Solutions with your UTR number, we will contact HMRC to verify your CIS status for you. This will determine the rate of deduction made from your gross pay. As a rough guide, most subcontractor deductions are made at 20%.

In certain circumstances CIS subcontractors will be verified for 0% (gross) deductions. If you do not register before you start working or the HMRC cannot match your details under CIS, you will be deducted tax at the higher rate (30%).

Yes. If you are self-employed you must keep up with your Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions.

Yes. You can claim your business expenses annually when you complete your Self Assessment Tax Return. Our sister Company Global – Accountax can help you will your Self Assessment. Remember, you must keep your expense receipts for up to six years in the event that HMRC wish to enquire into your tax return.

If you work as CIS Umbrella or Self-Employed, why not sign up for our Tax Return package from only £15 per month. Global-Accountax will assist you with all the accounting operations performed during the financial year, as well as end of Year accounts. Giving you piece of mind your Tax Return is taken care of by one of our Qualified Accountants.

When you are self-employed you take responsibility for your own holiday pay arrangements. Most agencies will agree a rate with you that includes holiday pay in accordance with the Working Time Directive legislation.

It’s quick and easy to set up. Call us on 0843 455 5000 or request a call back and we’ll get you started.

Click here to request a call back.

  • logo1
  • logo2
  • logo3
  • logo4
  • logo4
  • logo4
  • logo4